A Temporal Clause is usually composed of two parts: The independent clause and the dependent clause, which are linked by one of these connectors: Before, after, when, while. These connectors refer to a specific point of time.
The Temporal Clause can be expressed through two kinds of structures that differ in the order of words but not in meaning:
- Clause 1 (Subject+verb) + connector + clause 2 (Subject + verb);
- Connector + clause 1 (Subject + verb) + comma (,) + clause 2 (Subject + verb).
- We should leave before it starts raining.
- Before I go to work, I drink a coffee.
- The boss was more tolerant with him after he learnt about his problems.
- After we got to know her, we realised she was selfish.
- I was very polite when I met her.
- When they were sleeping, the light was on.
- We called the police while you and your neighbour were fighting.
- While you were reading, they had some coffee.
We use Temporal Clauses to form more complex sentences and locate an event in a specific moment or period. The Temporal Clause gets sense thanks to the following connectors:
- Before (previous event);
- After (subsequent event);
- When (in a specific moment);
- While (at the same time with another event).
Temporal Clauses are used to form more complex sentences and locate an event in a specific moment or period. These clauses are usually composed of two parts: the independent clause and the dependent clause, which are linked by a connector.
These connectors are: Before, after, when and while.
— “I’ll have a shower before dinner.” = “The shower” is the first event to take place and “the dinner” the second.
— “I’ll have a shower after dinner.” = “The dinner” is the first event to take place and “the shower” the second.
— “I’ll have a shower when the water gets warmer.” = “The shower” will be had in the moment in which “the water gets warmer“.
— “I’ll have a shower while you cook dinner.” = The two events happen at the same time.
Let’s revise this content within the [Form] section. Take a look at the [Example] section that shows its use within a context.