We use feminine nouns when the person we’re talking about is a woman, and the noun has a possible feminine version.
There are exceptions and irregularities that need to be learned by heart.
- Count ⇒ The Countess gave birth at eleven.
- Host ⇒ Our hostess is a nice woman.
- Manager ⇒ The Manageress checks the rooms at weekends.
Nouns with -tor or -ter
- Actor ⇒ She is my favourite actress.
- Waiter ⇒ This girl is waitress.
Nouns with -e
- Prince ⇒ The princess got married and lived happily ever after.
Nouns ending with a stressed vowel followed by consonant
- God ⇒ Athena is an ancient goddess.