The letter g can be pronounced differently in English language.
G can be pronunciated in different ways, depending on the letters that are after or before it.
You have to learn the rules in order to decide what is the correct pronunciation of the letter “g”. However, you have to learn the exceptions by heart.
game, go, leg;
gentle, giant, gym
garage, genre, regime;
- design, foreign, signed;
- daughter, eight, light;
- enough, laugh, tough;
- aggressive, baggage, egg;
- exaggerate, suggest;
- bridge, edge, judge.
In general case:
- g= g;
- g= dʒ, before the letters e, i, y .
- when an “n” follows a “g” (gn) the “g” is not pronounced if it is at the end of the word or if an “e” follows the “gn”;
- when the letter “h” follows the letter “g”, sometimes the digraphs is not pronunced;
- when the letter “h” follows the letter “g”, sometimes the digraphs is pronounced as /f/;
- when we have double g (gg), sometimes it is pronounced as /g/;
- when we have double g (gg), sometimes it is pronounced as /dʒ/;
- when a “d” precedes a “g” (dg), it is pronounced as /dʒ/.