A percentage is a number expressed as a fraction of 100 in mathematics
To express percentages, the sign used is %, although it can be written in a text as per cent.
- 10% = 10 per cent = 10/100;
- 30% = 30 per cent = 30/100; etc.
- “Fifty per cent of Europeans…”
Percentages are used:
- in formulaic expressions in subjects related to mathematics or physics;
- to talk about the fractions that are part of a hundred (30/100);
- at the start of a sentence in the extended form (per cent) to represent a number took from statistics.
External link to Percentage exercises (1191).