The colon is a punctuation mark composed by two dots in a vertical line.
- Giving examples
- I like vegetables: tomatoes, potatoes and carrots.
- She hates animals: dogs, cats and rabbits.
- I have three things: a pen, a pineapple and an apple.
- In a formal letter or in an e-mail
- Dear Ms. Johnson:
- Dear Mrs. Taylor:
- Dear Ms. Peterson
- Expressing the mathematical operation of division
- 6 : 2 = 3
- 24 : 6 = 4
- 36 : 6 = 6
- Website addresses
We use the colon:
- to give examples
- in a formal letter or in an e-mail
- to express the mathematical operation of division
- in website addresses