The colon is a punctuation mark composed by two dots in a vertical line. It is used in different situations.
The symbol of colon is :
It is composed by two dots in a vertical line.
- Giving examples
- I like vegetables: tomatoes, potatoes and carrots.
- She hates animals: dogs, cats and rabbits.
- I have three things: a pen, a pineapple and an apple.
- 6 : 2 = 3
- 24 : 6 = 4
- Website addresses
We use the colon:
- to give examples, followed by a sequence of words;
- to express the mathematical operation of division;
- in website addresses, normally after ‘https’.
External link to Colon exercises (1202).