The letter w has different pronunciations depending on its position.
The letter w can be pronounced differently depending on its position in the word and the letters that follow.
- -w at the end of the word:
- wh– before i, a, e:
- wh- before o:
- wr- at the beginning of word:
- When w is the last letter of a word is pronounced as ou;
- when wh– is at the beginning of the word, it’s pronounced u+vowel when is placed before i, a, e;
- it’s pronounced h (aspirated) when is placed before o;
- when wr– is at the beginning of the word is pronounced as r-.