Though abbreviation is the general term, there are different types. In this case we are speaking about contractions and shortenings.
- Contractions are abbreviations in which the letters in the middle of the word have been removed.
- Shortening: Using only the beginning or the ending of the word.
To form the plural version, the word is added a -s in the end, as in drs (doctors).
- Cooking and baking
- tsp or t – teaspoon/teaspoons
- c – cup/cups
- lb – pound/pounds
- Map locations
- Ave. – Avenue
- Blvd. – Boulevard
- Cyn. – Canyon
We use abbreviations in:
- Cooking and baking measures
- Map locations (names of the type of road)
External link to Abbreviations exercises (1221).