Though abbreviation is the general term, there are different types. In this case we are speaking about contractions and shortenings.
- Contractions are abbreviations in which the letters in the middle of the word have been removed.
- Shortening: Using only the beginning or the ending of the word.
To form the plural version, the word is added a -s in the end, as in drs (doctors).
- Cooking and baking
- tsp or t – teaspoon/teaspoons
- c – cup/cups
- lb – pound/pounds
- Map locations
- Ave. – Avenue
- Blvd. – Boulevard
- Cyn. – Canyon
We use abbreviations in:
- Cooking and baking measures
- Map locations (names of the type of road)
External link to Abbreviations exercises (1221).
Open TextBooks are collaborative projects, with people from all over the world bringing their skills and interests to join in the compilation and dissemination of knowledge to everyone and everywhere.
Become an Ambassador and write your textbooks.
Become a Books4Languages Online tutor & teacher.
More information here about how to be a tutor.