Outdoor activities practised the most by people from the United Kingdom
- Walking is one of the most popular outdoor activities.
- In England, around 86% of people walk at least once a month.
- In Scotland, 23% of journeys are on foot.
- In Wales around 65% use walking as a way to get to their destination than as exercise.
- Visiting archaeological ruins and nature parks, gardening, holding picnics or nature photography are also popular.
- There are fifteen national parks in the United Kingdom, which are also visited by many people:
- Ten of them are in England.
- Three in Wales.
- Two are in Scotland.
The sports activities in nature that people from the United Kingdom do the most
- Swimming is one of the largest sports in England by participation.
- Running is also an often choice for sports activity.
- Watersports are practised by around 32% of the population.
- Sailing and windsurfing are popular activities on the south coast.
- Cycling is also a popular activity, also as a way of getting to some destinations.
- Most popular cycling routes are C2C, Way of the Roses and Cornish Way.
- Some of the popular sports are:
- Football as the most popular sport to play. It is a team game played on the rectangle-shaped football field. Points are obtained by scoring a goal on opponents. Players use their legs to play, the only player who can use hands is the goalkeeper.
- Rugby is also one of the major sports. It is a contact sport where points are obtained by placing the ball on the opponents’ point field.
- Tennis is the third most popular sport. It is played on a tennis court, which involves piercing the ball with a tennis racket above or next to the net to the opponent’s field. It can be played 1 on 1 or 2 on 2.
- Cricket is a sport that originated in England, it is a bat-and-ball type of game in which two teams of 11 people try to score a goal by throwing a ball at three wooden posts called wicket, which is defended by the opposite team with a wooden stick.
Social behaviour related to outdoor activities
- On average kids spend around one hour on outdoor activities.
- Boys tend to spend more time on outdoor activities than girls.
- Some places can ban some sports activities, you should respect it.