Leisure activities, habits and hobbies: Outdoor activities
Outdoor activities practised the most by people from the United Kingdom
- Walking is one of the most popular outdoor activities.
- In England, around 86% of people walk at least once a month.
- In Scotland, 23% of journeys are on foot.
- In Wales around 65% use walking as a way to get to their destination than as exercise.
- Visiting archaeological ruins and nature parks, gardening, holding picnics or nature photography are also popular.
- There are fifteen national parks in the United Kingdom, which are also visited by many people:
- Ten of them are in England.
- Three in Wales.
- Two are in Scotland.
The sports activities in nature that people from the United Kingdom do the most
- Swimming is one of the largest sports in England by participation.
- Running is also an often choice for sports activity.
- Watersports are practised by around 32% of the population.
- Sailing and windsurfing are popular activities on the south coast.
- Cycling is also a popular activity, also as a way of getting to some destinations.
- Most popular cycling routes are C2C, Way of the Roses and Cornish Way.
- Some of the popular sports are:
- Football as the most popular sport to play. It is a team game played on the rectangle-shaped football field. Points are obtained by scoring a goal on opponents. Players use their legs to play, the only player who can use hands is the goalkeeper.
- Rugby is also one of the major sports. It is a contact sport where points are obtained by placing the ball on the opponents’ point field.
- Tennis is the third most popular sport. It is played on a tennis court, which involves piercing the ball with a tennis racket above or next to the net to the opponent’s field. It can be played 1 on 1 or 2 on 2.
- Cricket is a sport that originated in England, it is a bat-and-ball type of game in which two teams of 11 people try to score a goal by throwing a ball at three wooden posts called wicket, which is defended by the opposite team with a wooden stick.
Social behaviour related to outdoor activities
- On average kids spend around one hour on outdoor activities.
- Boys tend to spend more time on outdoor activities than girls.
- Some places can ban some sports activities, you should respect it.
Open TextBooks are collaborative projects, with people from all over the world bringing their skills and interests to join in the compilation and dissemination of knowledge to everyone and everywhere.
Become an Ambassador and write your textbooks.
Become a Books4Languages Online tutor & teacher.
More information here about how to be a tutor.