Skip to content
Prepositions of movement
Movement to or from a place
- Away from (distancing oneself from a place).
- Down (moving to a lower positioned place).
- From (starting point of a changing of position).
- To (destination of a changing of position).
- Up (moving to a higher positioned place).
Movement from one side to another
- Across (passing through a path, street… to reach a destination).
- Along (walking by the side of an extended place to reach a destination).
- In/into (entering a 3-dimensional place).
- Off (changing a position by leaving the previous place).
- On/onto (positioning on the top of a 3-dimensional place having contact with the place).
- Out of (leaving a 3-dimensional place).
- Over (positioning on the top of a 3-dimensional place without having contact with the place).
- Under (positioning below a 3-dimensional place).