Social services and support programmes: Assistance for older people
Minimum Retirement Age
- The State Pension is a regular payment from the Government. Most people can claim it when they reach State Pension Age. Its amount depends on your National Insurance contributions.
- In England and Wales, for men and women Pension Age is currently 65, increasing to 66 by October 2020 and to 68 by 2027. You can check when you will reach State Pension age at gov.uk/state-pension-age.
Benefits which Older People Have
- An older person on a low income may be able to claim a means-tested benefit called Pension Credit. Depending on the income, older people may also be entitled to a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, or a rate rebate in Northern Ireland.
- Housing Benefit helps people with paying their rents. It is being replaced with Universal Credit. You can read about Housing Benefit at gov.uk/housing-benefit and about Universal Credit at gov.uk/housing-and-universal-credit.
- Council Tax Reduction can be also called Council Tax Support, to apply for it you have to contact your local council. It is not available in Northern Ireland, to check what kind of help you can get in Northern Ireland with paying taxes, visit nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/guide-rates/help-paying-your-rates.
- In England, older people can use the bus for free. Older people living in Wales or Scotland can get free bus travel if he/she is over sixty. Rail lines also can have special discounts or free rides for people over a certain age.
- People born on or before the 5th of April 1954 can get between £100 and £300 to help pay heating bills, it is called Winter Fuel Payment. To read more visit gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment.
- People who are 75 years old or over, get a free TV license.
Open TextBooks are collaborative projects, with people from all over the world bringing their skills and interests to join in the compilation and dissemination of knowledge to everyone and everywhere.
Become an Ambassador and write your textbooks.
Become a Books4Languages Online tutor & teacher.
More information here about how to be a tutor.