Importance and Place that the Main Paintings of the United Kingdom Occupy in the History of World Painting
- The Battle of Trafalgar is an oil-on-canvas painting, created by J.M.W. Turner in 1824. The painting was commissioned by King George IV. It shows the Royal Navy ship HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar.
- The Monarch of the Glen is an oil painting from 1851 by English painter sie Edwin Landseer. It presents a red deer stag. It was one of the most popular paintings throughout the 19th century.
- The Lady of Shalott was painted by John William Waterhouse in 1888. It is based on an 1832 poem and draws on the imagery of the mediaeval period. It is located in the Tate collection.
- The Singing Butler is an oil painting by Scottish artist Jack Vettriano from 1992. Its reproductions are best-selling ones in the United Kingdom. It presents a couple dancing on the wet sand on a beach. In the background, you can see grey skies. It has been compared to Grant Wood’s American Gothic.
- Girl with Balloon is a series of murals by the graffiti artist Banksy. It presents a young girl with her hand reaching to a red heart-shaped balloon which is blown away by the wind. In 2018, a framed copy of the work shredded during an auction. It turned out that it happened because of a mechanical device Banksy had hidden in the frame. Banksy gave it a new name: Love is in the Bin.
Internationally Renowned Art Galleries
- National Gallery is an art gallery in London. It is a state gallery, presenting a collection of 2,300 paintings. Among its collection, you can find works of Vincent van Gogh.
- Tate Modern is a modern art gallery placed in London. It presents works by British artists from 1900 to the present days. It also holds international and contemporary modern art which makes it one of the largest museums of this kind in the world.
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a museum and art gallery in Glasgow, Scotland. Since being restored between, the museum has been the popular free attraction in Scotland, and the most visited museum in the United Kingdom outside London.
External link to Visual arts: Painting exercises (520).
Open TextBooks are collaborative projects, with people from all over the world bringing their skills and interests to join in the compilation and dissemination of knowledge to everyone and everywhere.
Become an Ambassador and write your textbooks.
Become a Books4Languages Online tutor & teacher.
More information here about how to be a tutor.