Nominalization is the transformation of adverbs, adjectives or other parts of speech into nouns.
We can form nominalization by adding suffixes to adjectives or verbs.
Some of the suffixes used to nominalize adjectives are:
- –ity (real → reality);
- –ist (active → activist);
- –ness (happy → happiness);
- –th (born → birth);
- –ty (safe → safety).
- In the absence of reality, we do not know what to do.
- By achiving a goal you can find happiness.
- Right now, there is no safety!
We use nominalization to turn verbs and adjectives into nouns in order to use them as subjects, objects of a verb.