Wh- questions always begin with one of the wh- question words (interrogative pronouns), which show what kind of information is wanted.
The wh- questions in the present tense are used to ask for information in the present.
To create a wh- question, we place an auxiliary or a modal verb after the wh- question word and before a subject.
In the present tense (both simple and continuous), we use the present forms of the auxiliary and modal verbs.
The structure of wh- questions in present form is:
- With an auxiliary verb:
Wh- question word + auxiliary verb (present form) + subject + verb + …?
- With a modal verb:
Wh- question word + modal verb (present form) + subject + verb + …?
- Without an auxiliary verb:
What/who + verb (third person singular) + …?
Which/whose + noun + verb (third person singular/plural) + …?
The wh- question words are: when, where, why, which, what, whose, who, whom and how.
- When does she read a magazine?
- Where do you buy bread?
- Why have you got 5 cars?
- Which house is yours?
- What can I do now?
- Whose computer is this?
- Who speaks German in our group?
- Whom does he like?
- How old are you?
The wh- words that are used to make questions are:
- When (to ask for information about time);
- Where (to ask for information about place);
- Why (to ask for a reason);
- Which (to ask for information about a preference between two or more things);
- What (to ask for information about something);
- Whose (to ask for information about who something belongs to);
- Who (to ask for information about people, as a subject);
- Whom (to ask for information about people, as an object);
- How* (to ask for information about the way something is done, the way something happens).
These questions are also called open questions because the possible answers to them are infinite.
*How does not start with wh-, but it is also considered to be a wh- question.
Wh-questions start with one of the wh- question words: what, when, where, which, who, whom, whose, why and how.
The wh- question words introduce the questions.
— “Where is the toilet?” = Where ашық сұрақ тудырып тұр, себебі нешетүрлі жауап беруге болады.
♦ “Is there a toilet?” = Ия/жоқ сұрақтар ия немесе жоқ деген қысқа жауапты талап етеді,сондықтан жабық сұрақ деп аталады
Бұл материалды [Form]бөлімінен қайта қарап шық.Материалды қолдану нұсқаулығы көрсетілген [Example]бөліміне назар аудар.
External link to Осы шақтағы Wh-сұрақтар exercises (58).
Open TextBooks are collaborative projects, with people from all over the world bringing their skills and interests to join in the compilation and dissemination of knowledge to everyone and everywhere.
Become an Ambassador and write your textbooks.
Become a Books4Languages Online tutor & teacher.
More information here about how to be a tutor.