Wh- questions always begin with one of the wh- question words (interrogative pronouns), which show what kind of information is wanted.
The wh- questions in the present tense are used to ask for information in the present.
To create a wh- question, we place an auxiliary or a modal verb after the wh- question word and before a subject.
In the present tense (both simple and continuous), we use the present forms of the auxiliary and modal verbs.
The structure of wh- questions in present form is:
- With an auxiliary verb:
Wh- question word + auxiliary verb (present form) + subject + verb + …?
- With a modal verb:
Wh- question word + modal verb (present form) + subject + verb + …?
- Without an auxiliary verb:
What/who + verb (third person singular) + …?
Which/whose + noun + verb (third person singular/plural) + …?
The wh- question words are: when, where, why, which, what, whose, who, whom and how.
- When does she read a magazine?
- Where do you buy bread?
- Why have you got 5 cars?
- Which house is yours?
- What can I do now?
- Whose computer is this?
- Who speaks German in our group?
- Whom does he like?
- How old are you?
The wh- words that are used to make questions are:
- When (to ask for information about time);
- Where (to ask for information about place);
- Why (to ask for a reason);
- Which (to ask for information about a preference between two or more things);
- What (to ask for information about something);
- Whose (to ask for information about who something belongs to);
- Who (to ask for information about people, as a subject);
- Whom (to ask for information about people, as an object);
- How* (to ask for information about the way something is done, the way something happens).
These questions are also called open questions because the possible answers to them are infinite.
*How does not start with wh-, but it is also considered to be a wh- question.
Wh-questions start with one of the wh- question words: what, when, where, which, who, whom, whose, why and how.
The wh- question words introduce the questions.
— “Where is the toilet?” = Where ашық сұрақ тудырып тұр, себебі нешетүрлі жауап беруге болады.
♦ “Is there a toilet?” = Ия/жоқ сұрақтар ия немесе жоқ деген қысқа жауапты талап етеді,сондықтан жабық сұрақ деп аталады
Бұл материалды [Form]бөлімінен қайта қарап шық.Материалды қолдану нұсқаулығы көрсетілген [Example]бөліміне назар аудар.
External link to Осы шақтағы Wh-сұрақтар exercises (58).